We finally made it into the pediatric ophthalmologist's office for an official diagnosis on Thursday.
Yes, his tear duct is blocked, and if he hasn't "outgrown" it by now at just over two, he won't on his own. So it requires surgery to unblock.
Quick anatomy lesson for you. On the upper outside of your eye is the lacrimal gland that makes your tears. The tears then wash diagonally across the eye, keeping it moist and removing debris. They drain into the tear duct which is on the inside, bottom of the eye, close to your nose. In fact, the tear duct drains into your nasal canal and down your throat. That is why when you cry really hard, your nose also runs. Excess tears can't all go down the back nasal passage to your throat.
The reason I can explain that to you in nice, plain English, is because the pedi opthamologist we saw was soooooooo good at explaining things to me in nice plain English. Very professional, very thorough. I feel very comfortable having her stick a small wire type thing into the corner of my son's eyeball.
Unfortunately, since he IS 2, the procedure will have to be done under anesthesia at the hospital. (Think very active, can't sit still, ants in his pants ALL the time, definitely would never sit still if someone came at his eye with a sharp object.) I'm sure it will be fine, I usually completely trust other medical professionals. There is just a little bit of me that is scared though. The surgery is not scheduled yet, have to get in touch with insurance and coordinate with the hospital, etc.
The office will contact me soon to schedule it though. Will let you all know when it is so that you can pray, or think good thoughts, or whatever it is that you do, for him.
Here is an up-close pic of J's face which shows pretty good the glistening goo stuff that is usally in his right eye.
5 comments:
Holy cow! That close up is gorgeous! What a handsome little man!
That is a *great* shot! Sorry about the surgery though... :-/
That IS a beautiful shot - wow. But yes, I see what you mean. Thanks for the plain-English explanation. Miraculously I understood everything you said because of the way you said it. Good luck to J - he'll do great!
J will do great. Rachel had the same surgery at 15 months. I hated being in the recovery room when she woke up, but that was the worst of it. The operation and recovery didn't phase her in the least. Good luck with everything.
Poor guy. Doesn't it tear your heart out when you're baby isn't well? :(
I agree with everyone else... lovely shot of your handsome boy!
Post a Comment