Dream of Dragons: a Korean proverb

In Korea, dragons have traditionally represented courage, good fortune and greatness;
dreaming of them is a sign of good things to come
.


Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Operation: Tear Duct Opening (Literally)

Last Monday was J's surgery to unblock his right tear duct. In preparation, we had to give him a combination steroid and antibiotic eye drop, three times a day. He didn't like it, to say the least. Worked better with two people, but C wasn't always around to help me. In fact, one of the times, instead of helping, C opted to take pictures instead.
The morning of the surgery, we were up bright and early. I scooped J up out of bed and just put him in the car. Was hoping he might sleep a bit more, but by the time I even got downstairs, he was wide awake.

We checked in an hour or so earlier than the scheduled surgery time. Talked to the nurse, the anesthesiologist and then the ophthalmologist. Then I changed J into his cute hospital gown and we hung out playing cars and watching cartoons. He did not need an IV because it was planned to be a quick procedure. He did get an oral pre-sedation med (versed) to help him relax. It made him quite loopy when it kicked in. :) (See below pics for proof!)I dressed in an overgown thing and went to the OR with J. I held his hand while they put the mask with the anesthesia gas on his face. It took a bit and he got twitchy and a little panicky. He kept turning his head to look at me and even tried to say "mama, mama." But then he was out and I headed out to the waiting room.

It did end up being the quick 5 minute procedure that it is for 90% of these cases. The doctor came out to talk to me, then the recovery room had me come back to help J calm down. He was awake, but crying. The only thing that helped him was drinking juice, then eating some jello and crackers while sitting in my lap.

We were able to leave about 30 minutes later. All in all it went good and was a quick procedure. Had to continue the eye drops for this past week though.

We had the final follow-up this morning and J's surgery was pronounced a success. I can finally stop the eye drop torture! I still have to watch his right eye from time to time to make sure it continues to function normally. Hopefully, he is good to go for life now!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

he is quite possibly the cutest little boy ever! praise God everything went smoothly and it was a success!
~elizabeth

Jennifer said...

So glad that it went smoothly for you guys! Yay!

Lucky Mama said...

So glad it went well.

Christine @ 12,450miles said...

Whew! So happy to hear it went well and was a success!

Elizabeth Frick said...

Yahoo for a smooth surgery! And oh, how I know the pain of watching your child slip into unconsciousness. You done good, mama ;)

kelly said...

Even if it was fast, it must have been a LONG 5 minutes for you. So glad it was a success! Those photos are hilarious.

Janet said...

So interesting to read about this. Little D had a blocked right tear duct also. They did a probing in Korea and we were told we'd need to follow-up on it here. We were thinking he might need surgery too, but the peds ophthalmologist said it resolved on its own. We were glad.

LOVE him in the scrubs hat and that face...on VERSED (which BTW does make you feel REALLY loopy...I've had it for a surgery too)...funny boy.

Glad his surgery went well. Bye-bye blocked tear duct.