Dream of Dragons: a Korean proverb

In Korea, dragons have traditionally represented courage, good fortune and greatness;
dreaming of them is a sign of good things to come
.


Saturday, April 24, 2010

Friends don't let friends shop retail!

I've been shopping twice a year at a huge consignment sale here in town since the spring before J even came home. As soon as he started out growing stuff last year, everything that wasn't needed to be saved for Baby Girl, or was just not gender neutral enough, got consigned! (Except for the special outfits I saved for hand-me-downs for J's cousin-to-be, due in September! Yay for a new baby boy in the family!)

There was a spring sale last week and for the first time I volunteered as well as consigning. Volunteering lets you get 70% of your sales back (vs. 65%), and it lets you shop earlier than just normal consignors.
This means there are more deals to be found because everything isn't already picked through. :)
Which means I spent just as much as I "made." :)

Well, actually not quite. I think I'm $14 ahead. So, basically I ended up "trading" old clothes and baby items for "new" things. I got some clothes for J to round out his summer and fall wardrobe choices. Then I picked up a few toys for J that just couldn't be resisted (see pics at bottom).

And finally.... I'm publicly admitting... I bought some clothes for Baby Girl too.
Hello, my name is Heidi, and I have a baby girl shopping problem.

I've now been shopping for Baby Girl since we submitted our application last August. (Ok, maybe I cheated a little bit and bought one or two things before. Maybe.)
In her (future) closet, I'm slightly embarrassed to report that Baby Girl already has 40 outfits ranging from 12 months to 2T, dispersed through all seasons. (I just went and counted.) Plus a few misc. shirts and pants that are not matched with anything yet. NONE of them I paid full retail price for, so that is my justification. Everything was at least on sale, if not bought at a consignment sale, a garage sale, or just good ol' hand-me-downs. Then I think I have 4 pairs of shoes, plus some robeez and fake robeez. Then there is all the gender neutral onesies and pajamas.
And she already has dolls. Three of them. Those were great deals too, and all are Asian. :) Plus there are MY old cabbage patch kids and a few stuffed animals that were saved for her.

I think I need help! LOL!

I LOVE J to pieces! I don't think I could love him or enjoy him more... but I am soooooo excited to do girly things with Baby Girl. Just my luck, she will be a tomboy and scoff at her dolls and dresses! Time will tell. :)

Anyway, here is J with his new child sized rocking chair and race car track. Notice the theme? :)

4 comments:

Elizabeth Frick said...

LOVE shopping for kids' stuff!!! I don't blame you going a little overboard at a consignment sale. Good stuff for cheap is even better!

Jennifer said...

You're totally normal! No worries ;)

kelly said...

I have recently discovered some AMAZING kids consignment shops here and it's great!! So I totally understand what you're saying :)

Krista said...

Consignment shops rock! Yesterday, Alex's outfit cost $3 - and all name brand - LOVE IT!