Dream of Dragons: a Korean proverb

In Korea, dragons have traditionally represented courage, good fortune and greatness;
dreaming of them is a sign of good things to come
.


Monday, December 14, 2009

Living in the Moment

I am a multi-tasker. I always seem to be in the middle of multiple projects and have a million things on my mind. I'll be doing one thing, start thinking of something else entirely, get distracted and leave off the first thing right in the middle of what I was doing. For instance, right now I am blogging (obviously), eating my own breakfast and watching J eat his.

The holidays induce added stress by piling extra projects that I HAVE to get done. I don't have to do anything, of course, but for some reason I always think all the extra stuff is absolutely necessary.

The way I usually cope with everything I want, need or HAVE to do is to make lists. It feels really good to check things off and it gives me a sense of accomplishment. It also helps in that it gives me direction to the multiple tasks. However, even when I make my lists and complete those activities, my mind is still on overdrive thinking of the next thing, or even far in the future things that aren't even ON that particular list.

I just recently read an article about how to make life simpler around the holidays. The author recommended "Living in the Moment." In other words, take the time to concentrate only on the task that you are doing. Don't let the other things push their way into your mind while you are doing that one thing. The article was talking about Christmas tasks like decorating the tree, or baking cookies, but it really resonated with me. I thought it would be a good idea to apply to my whole life, not just the holidays.

So, that is what I pledge to myself- to try to live in the moment. To enjoy the task that I am doing at that time and try not to think about the things coming up later. I will continue to make my lists, but I'm not going to think of the millions of things I HAVE to do all at once. It will be hard, but I think I will be a calmer and more balanced person if I can accomplish it.

This Christmas, what do you pledge to do to help simplify your own life?

3 comments:

Elizabeth Frick said...

Wonderful idea! I, like you, am both a multi-tasker and list-maker :) AND I'm a project-jumper too! We are so alike...

Lucky Mama said...

We simplified by having the boys receive less gifts from santa. This year they are receiving "something you want something you need something to wear and something to read." I am loving it so far.

kelly said...

GREAT idea! I'd like to try this too. Wonder if I can accomplish it....