Dream of Dragons: a Korean proverb

In Korea, dragons have traditionally represented courage, good fortune and greatness;
dreaming of them is a sign of good things to come
.


Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Happy Together-versary

One year ago...
we received custody of J in the afternoon.

I still haven't decided what to call this day for sure. I don't really like Gotcha Day. C and I were already a Family before J, so Family Day is out. Tomorrow is his Airplane or Homecoming Day as we had J with us for just under 24 hours in Korea before traveling home.
On one of the adoption boards I read, a fellow blogger/ same agency waiter suggested "Together" Day. I like that! So at least for this year, we are celebrating our first Together-versary.

After he went to bed tonight, I celebrated by watching some of our videos of J throughout this past year. :) Made me cry all over again to re-watch our first meeting. We made a little montage last year after we came home for friends and family. I won't post it here as it had his full name in it. Anyway, when we made it, I had C use the song "Candle on the Water" from Pete's Dragon for the music, rather than narration. It was a special song to me before J, but this past year whenever I have thought of it or heard it again (we have D*sney soundtrack CDs), it always makes me smile and think of how lucky and blessed we are to have J in our lives.

The words to the song are very fitting for any parent... just don't take the lyrics literally in application to adoption as it may bring up a whole 'nother can of controversial worms. Rather take the spirit of the song, as I do, as that of a pledge of a mother (me) to be there for her son (J).
Here they are:

I'll be your candle on the water
My love for you will always burn
I know you're lost and drifting
But the clouds are lifting
Don't give up you'll have somewhere to turn

I'll be your candle on the water
'Till ev'ry wave is warm and bright
My soul is there beside you
Let this candle guide you
Soon you'll see a golden stream of light

A cold and friendless tide has found you
Don't let the stormy darkness pull you down
I'll paint a ray of hope around you
Circling in the air
Lighted by a prayer

I'll be your candle on the water
This flame inside of me will grow
Keep holding on you'll make it
Here's my hand so take it
Look for me reaching out to show
As sure as rivers flow
I'll never let you go
I'll never let you go
I'll never let you go...

4 comments:

Elizabeth Frick said...

Happy day! What a great time to celebrate. Congratulations :)

Jayme said...

Congratulations! LOVE the song. Love the name of your special day, as well. I STILL can't believe it's been a year already!

Tracie said...

I love that song, too... Helen Reddy sings it beautifully!

Congratulations on your Together Day!!!

Krista said...

Beautiful. I'm sorry I'm so late in reading this!
One year - that is just awesome!