Perhaps this is TMI, but oh well.
The past two nights J has not slept well at all. I don't know if it was residual sickness and he still was feeling yucky, over tiredness, regression in grieving/attachment or a combination of all three.
Tuesday night he woke up frequently crying, though was able to calm down each time. C and I were up half the night as we couldn't get back to sleep. It was a mess!
Last night, I moved J and I down to the basement to allow C to get some sleep. J was able to sleep, for the most part. He woke up at 10:30 or so and he didn't want anything to do with me, but just kept screaming. That was HARD! It was like our first night with him when he was arching his back and refusing to look at me. I finally got him back to sleep, but he kept having very frequent night terrors, which means he still is crying and wakes me up, though he is still asleep.
For part of the night, I was able to get him back into a restful sleep, but then couldn't calm him down at all at one point. Going on ~ 3 hours of sleep from the night before, and perhaps 2 thus far last night, I reached my breaking point at about 4 in the morning.
No, this mama is not perfect!
I went and slept upstairs and left J to sleep restlessly. He was safe... in the pack and play, with a night light on. Checked on him 2 hours later and he was sleeping fine, and is actually still sleeping, thank goodness!
I just don't know what to do to help him when he does this! Though it is definitely regression, as he had been doing great at either sleeping totally through the night prior to being sick, or just crying/ moaning for a minute or two and comforting himself back to sleep. I perhaps had to actually go in his room every other night or every third night. Time to call our social worker for some advice.
Thursday, March 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I am so sorry that you had to go through TWO aweful nights. Going without sleep is really hard for me as well.
For me, when my two were little and got sick, I spent most of my time making them feel better and doting on them because they were miserable and I felt for them. After they got well, they went through a "testing" period, where they would expect me to continue to dote on them. They would throw fits and cry, making it harder on me. BOTH boys did this when they were little like your J. I don't know anything about regression, but I know how trying your situation is. Your an AWESOME Mommy and you are doing your absolute best! Blessings.
Post a Comment