First, most (but not all) babies in Korea are used to being worn in a podaegi on their mother's, or in the case of J, his foster mother's back. A podaegi is similar to a blanket with ties and is a traditional carrier in Korea. The new carrier in Korea, which is starting to catch on, is the chunei, which is worn like a vest, with a belt that goes under the baby's bum to support him/her.
I knew very early in the adoption process that I wanted to wear my baby as I have read that it helps to facilitate attachment, helps save the mama's back, and allows mama to have both hands free while still keeping babe close. I more than likely would have worn any biological children we may have had as well, this is not just an adoption thing.
So, I started researching carriers while we were waiting. I bought a used ring sling before we went to Korea and practiced with that. I put 20 lbs of rice in a pillow case shaped "baby," thinking J would be about 20 lbs on arrival home. It worked ok, mostly for short periods of time. It did put strain on my back slightly and whichever shoulder was supporting the weight, even when I properly spread out the sling over my back and shoulder.
Since, that was the case, I knew I should get a carrier that distributes the weight evenly, to both sides. I read about the Baby Hawk (a mei tai), the Ergo and the Beco. Most of them are very expensive, upwards of $100. Friends who bought one of the above raved about them and said they were very worth the money, but I was still waffle-ing over the expense. Finally, I read rave reviews about the chuneis. Since it is a Korean product, I decided I would get one of those while we were in Korea.
Fast forward to our trip to pick up J- our social worker at ESWS directed us to Grand mart to buy a less expensive chunei, vs. getting it at an upscale department store like Hyundai. I practiced putting it on in the store with a doll. It was a bit tight in the chest as I am above average on the endowment part you could say, but I figured it would work. (Note- there are quite a few brands of chuneis. Each Korean baby clothes brand has their own version, though they are all similar. I happened to buy an Agabang.)
The day we received J forever, his social worker and foster mom helped us load him in the chunei and off we went up the stairs to our guest room. He didn't stay in it for very long then though. The next day I did wear him to Namdaemun Market in the morning before we left Seoul that afternoon. It was actually fairly comfortable. Distributed his weight well. My back was good, shoulders did not hurt. He was happy- even napped some. I had to have help getting him on though. Chalked it up to using a new device. I did wear him on both my front and back that day, and both were comfortable.

The trouble I had with the chunei was that I could not buckle the chest strap buckle by myself when trying to wear him on my front. I just can't reach it, behind my back, no matter which way I twist and turn. It is just not in a good spot, and it doesn't move either. I do have a short torso, so that may contribute to it, but I have long arms. I don't know. I did however, finally figure out how to put J on my back while in the chunei with no help. I get him ready and put him on the couch or the recliner and then put the vest on like a backpack. It works very well for that purpose, but there are times I wanted to be able to see him while wearing him, to help facilitate attachment.
On a side note- a little bit more about the chunei. It has two buckles and some velcro, for those considering it. You put your baby on, with both your arms through the vest, either front or back. Attach the velcro to sort of close the vest while you get baby situated. The padded belt goes under their bum to support their weight, then over their thighs and around you. Baby's legs are on either side of you, sort of straddling your waist. Buckle the belt and pull tight. Then buckle the chest strap over the velcro to really secure. The brand I bought has an infant insert as well, helping to ensure baby does not fall out while you are putting them on. I believe most chuneis are rated up to 40 or 45 lbs as well. If you get the chance to try one on, make sure the velcro can close around your chest, and that you can reach the chest buckle around your back if the carrier is in the front. If both are good to go for you, then I would recommend it, as it was really quite comfortable.
Anyway, to finish my ramblings about carriers... on the adoption forum I read, I saw a great deal on a previous model of the Beco (butterfly 1). So I bought one using some Christmas money, in the hopes it would work for us on both the front and back. (Yes, that means I now own three carriers.) So far, it rocks. I can put it and J on all by myself, on both my front and back. The chest strap is adjustable up and down if needed. It distributes his weight well. Neither my shoulders nor my back was sore after I took him out, though I have only worn him for about an hour each both ways, not any longer.

So in the end, I like the Beco the best out of all my carriers. I guess 3rd time is a charm, at least for my body shape. Like I said above though, the chunei might work for you, so don't rule it out!

4 comments:
Great post! This is wonderful information!
Huge coincidence, I just got back from the fabric store, where I just purchased some fabric to make a Mei Tai carrier, like the BabyHawk one! I just couldn't spend the $100 on one, and bought the fabric I needed for $10! I am also going to take your advice and buy a chunei when we are in Korea!
Thanks for the information!
I've been following your blog for awhile. My husband and I are adopting from Korea and are currently awaiting the I600 approval. This is a great post. I've been trying to decide which carrier to buy and recently got a Lillebaby - but am not sure it was the best choice. I had previously thought we'd get the Beco but thought we should go with the Ergo because everyone raved about it. Any reason why you didn't get the Ergo? Thx.
I chose the Beco instead of the Ergo after observations of various friends who own one or the other. I personally think the Beco provides more support to the babe, as the back of the carrier goes up higher on baby's back. However, the various friends each love their own carrier whether it's the Beco or the Ergo, so it would be an entirely personal choice.
I purchased the Beco...great to hear as we soon get to put it to the real test (with our son!).
Also adopting from South Korea and lived in Denver for 10 years. I moved back "home" 5 years ago but miss Colorado terribly.
Post a Comment