Dream of Dragons: a Korean proverb

In Korea, dragons have traditionally represented courage, good fortune and greatness;
dreaming of them is a sign of good things to come
.


Thursday, July 10, 2008

Showered With Love

Even though we have not received a referral yet, and thus don't know exactly who our son is, in the last few weeks I have been blessed with two beautiful baby showers thrown by wonderful friends and family.

In late June, my town's sorority alumnae association held a Scrapbook-Shower-Party as one of our scheduled events. What made this shower even more special, is that our alumnae association is a newly organized group and despite not knowing me all that well, my sisters stepped right up to help welcome our future son to our family. (I love how the bonds of our sorority instantly connect supposed strangers, transcending geography and generations.) During the event, we were given a Scrapbook 101 lesson and made an awesome 6 x 6 personalized ABC poem scrapbook that I only have to add pictures to later.

This past weekend, my sister-in-law, J, and my best friend from high school, B, conspired together to throw me a fabulous shower held at my mom's house. Many, many of my friends live all over the U.S. and Germany, so J sent everyone onesies ahead of time to decorate and send back, thus being able to "participate" in the shower. For those who physically attended, we ate yummy cake, played a few games and decorated our own onesies there. Our son will definitely be well clothed with unique onesies! It was good to hear from and/or see old friends and it was fun to be the expectant mommy. :) I really had a great time and I can't tell you how much I love J and B for putting it all together. Thank you girls!

Here are a few pictures from the shower on Sunday:
B directing Korean word Balderdash

Guests making onesies

My mom decorating her onesie

Me with onesie I stenciled

Pretty handmade rag quilt, made by S (on left)

J and me with her diaper cake

Opening the high chair

Most, (but not all), of the onesies

Other recent news:
Sometimes the world of adoption requires tough decisions. Last week, we were given the opportunity to consider if we wanted to further review the medical records of a baby boy available for adoption from our Korean agency. Without going into too much detail about the circumstances, we were presented with some initial minimal information about the little boy, and we were also not the first family to hear the information provided about him. After an afternoon of research, family discussion, and prayer, C and I decided that we do not have the resources to parent that particular little boy, so like the families before us, we declined to pursue further information about him. It was a heart wrenching decision, but I can only hope that by us declining, it opened up the opportunity for the Forever Family that God intends for him, to find him.

To end this post on a positive note, this afternoon I contacted our local agency in the hopes of connecting with a fellow prospective adoptive family who blog and who actually live relatively close to us. I knew I wouldn't be provided with their phone number, considering all I had to go on were their first names, the town they live in and the fact that they are waiting for a Korean baby girl with AAC. Our contact at the agency assured us she would call them with our name and phone number to get us in touch though. K & C are at the very top of the waiting list for girls (not counting families on hold), and since we are now #2 for a boy (again, not counting families on hold) our babies should be very close in age! Hopefully, they will call us and we can all get together!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks like you had a wonderful shower. Congratulations. Adoption is an amazing process that brings lots of love, laughter,friends and family in your life.

As you have read our blog 'Perrydise' we are so happy with Ava and she is adjusting great. There is no greater joy!!! We are so in love!!! I hope you get your referral soon! Are you traveling? If you ever have any questions don't hesitate to contact me. Good luck. Your son is right around the corner and will be the perfect match for you!

Leslie Perry

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to meeting you guys this Saturday!! I hope you will have good news to share with us by then--you are so, so close to seeing your baby boy's face!!

As an aside, we would love it if you want to contribute to our 100 Good Wishes quilt for our baby. Not sure if you saw the blog about it, but it would be fabulous to receive a square and a wish from you!! If you decide to make one for your baby, I would love to give you fabric, too!!!!!!!!

See you Saturday!
Kelly